Woman dies on Thomson holiday
Posted: May 31, 2015
Posted in: Accidents and Sickness Abroad Food Poisoning Wrongful & Accidental Death
In 2012 a mother-of-two died after eating a sorbet on holiday in Greece, despite warning her travel provider and hotel of her food allergies. 50-year-old Amanda Thompson, from Rochdale in Greater Manchester, collapsed in the Rhodes hotel after consuming strawberry sorbet. It was heard in Rochdale Coroner’s Court that Mrs Thompson had warned the holiday provider, Thomson, that she was unable to eat milk, eggs or apples due to severe allergies.
Mrs Thompson had been on holiday with her family when she suffered the anaphylactic shock. North Manchester coroner Simon Nelson recorded a verdict of accidental death, but concluded that the strawberry sorbet had definitely triggered a fatal reaction. Thomson offered its “deepest sympathies” to the family.
‘tingling sensation in her mouth’
Mrs Thompson’s husband, Ian, told the hearing that his wife complained of a tingling sensation in her mouth not long after consuming the sorbet. She immediately realised that she was having an allergic reaction. Ms Thompson said that she returned to their hotel room and immediately collapsed. She did not regain consciousness.
Despite the conclusion of a Greek pathologist that Mrs Thompson’s death was due to natural causes, a British pathologist confirmed that her death was in fact due anaphylactic shock caused by the sorbet.
Mr Nelson described it as “astonishing” that neither the holiday company nor the hotel management had opened an investigation following the death.
« Family seek compensation over F1 crash
NHS England clamp down on failing services »