Family seek compensation over F1 crash
Posted: May 28, 2015
Posted in: Head and Brain Injuries Road Traffic Accidents Sporting Injuries Workplace Injuries Wrongful & Accidental Death
The family of a Formula 1 test driver that died a year after a serious crash is considering claiming for compensation. Maria De Villota lost her right eye while testing for Marussia at Duxford Airfield in July 2012. Only one year later, she died aged 33.
Earlier this week the Health and Safety Executive said that no action would be taken against Marussia for the accident. The family, however, said that they would conduct a full analysis of the report to “evaluate the next legal steps to claim the corresponding civil compensation from those responsible”.
Speeds as high as 200mph
Maria De Villota, the daughter of 1980s F1 race driver Emilio de Villota, had been driving at speeds as high as 200mph when she crashed the MR-01 race car into a support truck on 3 July 2012. The crash caused her to lose her right eye, but by early 2013 she was fit to drive again. In October 2013, however, she died “as a consequence of the neurological injuries she suffered” in the accident.
It was heard that this was the first time De Villota had driven the car for Oxfordshire-based Marussia, which has since folded.
The family of Ms De Villota said that they accepted the HSE’s decision not to take action, but said that they would keep pushing for compensation “to ensure that accidents of this type never happen again”.
« Hospital faces multi-million pound payout
Woman dies on Thomson holiday »