Personal Injuries In Manchester’s Public Places

The most common of all injuries that take place in public are slips, trips and falls. They can happen absolutely anywhere including pavements, roads and shopping centres and can be as a result of any number of hazards from uneven paving to slippery surfaces due to spillages. The most common slip, trip and fall claims are against local authorities for badly maintained pavements and roads or against employers due to obstructions such as loose wiring or uneven flooring.

Personal Injury Claim Lawyers

If you suffer a slip, trip or fall then you could be entitled to bring a claim for compensation against the occupier. This is because occupiers have a duty of care towards the safety of their “visitors”. This is a legal duty of care and is known as occupier’s liability. Any breach of this duty that results in an injury means that a compensation claim can be made against the occupier and most occupiers will have (and are legally required to have) occupiers liability insurance for precisely this purpose.

If you have suffered an injury in public due to a slip, trip or fall then you can make a personal injury claim provided you were not at fault for your injuries. This claim will include compensation for you injuries as well as reimbursing you for any additional losses such as medical bills, travel expenses, loss of income and so on. The amount of compensation you can claim will depend on the seriousness of your injuries and before any compensation is paid out you will usually be required to undergo a medical assessment.

To bring a successful claim you should seek the help of our experienced personal injury solicitors** in Manchester. Our expert guidance is free and we will work on your case on a no win no fee* basis. There are however time limits for bringing a claim (three years from the date of the accident in the case of an adult and by their 21st birthday in the case of a child) and therefore you should speak to our Manchester-based no win no fee* personal injury solicitors** without delay.

Who can I hold liable for my injury?

Those who are in control of public places are liable for injuries that the public sustain whilst on their property. Immediately, the local authority springs to mind. If you are in a council run building, like a school or a leisure centre, the relevant local authority will be responsible for your safety.

However, the local authority is responsible for more than just the buildings they run. Local authorities are also responsible for public footpaths and roads. It is all too easy to assume that nobody is responsible for tree roots protruding from the pavement but that is not the case. Some of the most common accidents occur due to poorly maintained footpaths and if you are not aware that the local authority is responsible for their maintenance, you could miss out on compensation that you are entitled to.

Liability is not limited to buildings and land that are in public ownership. We are all responsible for injuries caused to others on our property as a result of our negligence. This is due to the principle of occupier’s liability. There are many public places in private ownership and the occupiers of such places do not escape liability. Shopping centres, restaurants and theaters are in private ownership but they are open to the public. The occupier of such places will be liable to compensate you for your injuries, if they have been negligent, in the same way the local authority would be liable if your accident had occurred in one of their buildings.

What can I hold the responsible person liable for?

The responsible person is liable for costs that could reasonably be said to have resulted from your injury. This can cover a wide variety of costs but is not unlimited. If your injury began a series of horrendously expensive events that one could never have imagined would result from the injury, the responsible person will not be liable for the costs. What can be said to have reasonably been caused by the injury depends on the seriousness of it.

If the injury is particularly debilitating you may never be able to work again. This would lead to a high claim for compensation for loss of earnings and pension rights. If you have been injured to this extent, it is also likely that you will need ongoing care so you can be compensated for the cost of that. Compensation can also be paid for loses that cannot be quantified in monetary terms, such as serious injuries that lead to pain and suffering.

However, you are unlikely to be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering if your injury is a twisted ankle. In that case, you may well have lost earnings or have short-term medical expenses but that is likely to be the extent of your compensation. This does not mean that claiming compensation is not worth your while. You should never end up in a worse position than the one you started in due to an accident that wasn’t your fault. If the injury has had an effect on you financially, you should claim compensation.

Slips, Trips and Falls Solicitors of Manchester

If you have been injured by a slip, trip or fall and weren’t to blame, our Accident Lawyers can help you claim compensation through our No Win, No Fee* service. Call our Accident solicitors** on 01618855335^ or contact us online.

Start Your Personal Injury Claim Today

Contact Our Personal Injury Claim Managers Now