Couple blames Thomson for food poisoning abroad
Posted: September 20, 2014
Posted in: Accidents and Sickness Abroad Food Poisoning
A retired couple from Bristol has blamed travel company Thomson for the serious food poisoning they suffered with while on holiday in the Canary Islands. David and Lynne Fossey suffered serious gastroenteritis during their stay at ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort, Fuerteventura, and were left bed-bound for days. Mr Fossey said that the hotel had been run-down, with many of the meals being regularly left ‘uncovered’ and served ‘lukewarm’.
The couple were both diagnosed with gastroenteritis by the resort doctor, suffering with symptoms such as severe stomach cramps, vomiting, diarrhoea and a fever. The doctor prescribed them with capsules and rehydration salts.
‘All hotels in line with industry standards’
It was highlighted in the couple’s case that gastroenteritis can have a long-term impact on the individual’s health. They claimed that they ate all of their meals at the resort during their stay.
The couple’s lawyers said that they are currently looking into the case, and also added: “The tour operator also continues to investigate these claims and their position on whether liability is admitted or denied is awaited.”
Thomson offered its sincerest apologies to the couple for their experience while at the ClubHotel Riu Oliva Beach Resort, and reassured future customers that all their hotels are ‘maintained in line with industry standards’.
If you have suffered an injury or illness abroad, and are looking to claim compensation, please contact us.
« Soldier wins damages for injuries
Hospital criticised over abusive treatment of patients »