Holidaymaker seeks damages
Posted: August 15, 2015
Posted in: Accidents and Sickness Abroad Food Poisoning
24-year-old Jake Ankers has embarked on a battle for compensation after returning from a trip to a luxury holiday resort in Egypt with Salmonella. Mr Ankers had booked the all-inclusive trip to Sharm El Sheikh’s Sensatori Hotel through the tour operator Thomson Holidays, but was forced to return home with serious food poisoning. After developing severe symptoms, including abdominal pains, diarrhoea and a fever, he was forced to seek local medical attention. He was finally diagnosed with the bug upon returning from the trip, with symptoms so severe that he required a wheelchair to exit the plane.
After contracting the illness in June, Mr Ankers is still recovering from the bug. Doctors believe that he has developed irritable bowel syndrome from the illness after losing more than one stone in weight. It was heard that he was forced to take more than a month off work after returning from the holiday due to his suffering.
“I just want answers”
Mr Ankers, who works for Beech Properties in Manchester, said that he has decided to take legal action against the tour operating giants. A spokesperson from Thomson said that it carries out regular checks at all of its hotels, inspecting health, hygiene and comfort standards – all of which were maintained to ‘industry’ standards at the Sensatori Hotel.
Mr Ankers stated: “I am a keen gym-goer and work hard to keep fit. Since the holiday, I have lost lots of weight and don’t feel like myself – I still can’t eat properly. I just want answers.”
If you have suffered an injury or illness overseas, and are looking to claim compensation, please contact us.
« Increasing GP workload putting patients ‘at risk’
£10,000 payout for injured teen riding Motorcycle »