NHS Trust faces 79 negligence claims
Posted: August 20, 2013
Posted in: Medical Negligence
While solicitors investigate claims against Mid Staffordshire hospitals, they also plan to probe 79 negligence claims against two Lancashire hospitals. The claims stand against two of the East Lancashire NHS Trust’s hospitals: the Royal Blackburn and Burnley General Hospitals.
The trust was put under ‘special measures’ last month following the Keogh Inquiry. Sir Bruce Keogh’s investigation was sparked as a result of investigating high death rates in Mid Staffordshire hospitals, which then led to the discovery of many more offending trusts across England. Let down by poor care standards, the East Lancashire NHS Trust was one of the eleven hospitals placed under ‘special measures’ as a result.
Law firms investigate on behalf of patients’ relatives
However, three law firms have been involved in the case to investigate the worryingly high level of medical negligence claims against the hospitals – working on behalf of patients’ relatives from East Lancashire. The law firms include Irwin Mitchell (49 cases), Pannone (27 cases) and Leigh Day (3 cases).
Adam Lamb, of Leigh Day, said: “The kind of issues that our clients complain about are where they have not received hydration or nutrition, where they have been left sitting in soiled or wet bed sheets, and where they have not received any medication or where there has been poor communication between the families and the hospital.”
Mark Brearley, Chief Executive at East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust, said that all reported negligence cases are handled in collaboration with the NHS Litigation Authority (NHSLA).
If you have been affected by medical negligence, and are looking to claim compensation, please contact us.
« University hospital plans to cut 600 jobs
Failure to meet A&E targets results in resignation of hospital chief executive »