Hospital safety standards “shocking”
Posted: October 18, 2014
Posted in: Medical Negligence
Following a recent inspection of 82 hospitals across the country, inspectors have described their findings as “shocking”. The Care Quality Commission (CQC) released the results of the first 82 hospitals they inspected under a new system, but said that they were deeply concerned by their findings.
The CQC designed a new inspection regime following the recent Stafford Hospital scandal. Of the 82 hospitals inspected, a quarter of which were in England, eight were given an ‘inadequate’ rating, and a further 57 ‘require improvement’. Inspectors described the level of performance across the board as “shocking”.
“Severe funding gap”
Last year alone, the NHS was forced to payout £1.3bn to claimants over medical negligence cases. The chief executive of the Royal College of Nursing, Dr Peter Carter, said that the government needs to do more to seriously improve patient care and prevent the NHS paying out to those affected by a poor standard treatment.
Dr Mark Porter, from the British Medical Association, said that the problem stems from a combination of “a rising demand” and “a severe funding gap”. He believes that too much pressure is being put on doctors, resulting in a poorer quality of care being provided for patients. He too said that the government has to make some urgent changes.
Dr Porter added: “every patient should have confidence that the care they receive will be of consistently high quality.”
If you have been affected by medical negligence, and are looking to claim compensation, please contact us.
« Family to receive £6.5 million in compensation
Council paid out £101million to injured workers »