Chemical leak injures children
Posted: August 20, 2014
Posted in: Gym & Leisure Centre Accidents Public Place Accidents
A swimming pool at a holiday camp was evacuated earlier this week after a chemical “vapour” was released into the water. Three children were taken immediately to hospital, with a further three people taken later that day. The incident happened at Woodland Holiday Park in Trimingham, Norfolk, after residual gas in some of the pipelines found its way into the swimming pool.
Lee Fox, a paramedic that was called to the scene, said that patients were “coughing, and complaining of sore throats and stomach aches”. The park manager, Andrew Hird, said that the swimming pool was immediately evacuated when the gas leak was discovered.
“emergency operating procedures”
The Norfolk-based Woodland Holiday Park had around 1,000 holiday-makers on site when the accident happened. The leak only occurred in the children’s pool, with the park manager saying: “The pool was perfectly safe at all times, but we chose to evacuate the area as part of our emergency operating procedures.”
Paramedics assessed all of the children after the incident happened. Only three children had conditions severe enough to require hospital treatment. They were taken by ambulance to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital. Mr Hird said: “A family of three were also treated and decided to make their own way to hospital.”
The swimming pool has since been inspected and re-opened. All of the children have been discharged from hospital.
« Mother makes plea to drivers
Asbestos in Wales’ student bedrooms »