Accidents in public places

Compensation for an Accident in Public – A Guide

Many people have accidents in public places and do not claim the compensation they are entitled too. They think it will be difficult, time consuming or simply that they will not be entitled to compensation. This is often not the case. If you have had an accident in a public place, do not be one of these people. Contact Personal Injury Claims Manchester today and discover just how easy it is to claim the compensation you deserve.

How easy is it to claim compensation?

It is very easy to claim compensation for an accident that was not your fault with the help of an experienced lawyer from Personal Injury Claims Manchester. The earlier you contact a solicitor** the easier the process will be as they will advise you from the outset.

In order to have a successful claim you must show that the person who is responsible for your accident was negligent. This may sound difficult but you should not be deterred, as it is relatively easy depending on the extent of the negligence.

A person is negligent when they have not acted as a reasonable person would have acted had they been in the situation the negligent person was in. Sometimes the responsible person will have acted so outrageously that it is obvious they were negligent. In such cases, the responsible person may wish to settle the claim because they want to avoid going to court where they will clearly lose their case. In those situations, having the assistance of an experienced solicitor** from Personal Injury Claims Manchester will be invaluable. The responsible person will evidently want to settle the claim for as little as possible. It is important that you obtain advice so you are aware of what compensation you are entitled to and do not settle for less.

There are situations where the negligence of the responsible person is not as obvious. Here your solicitor** will have to build a case around the facts you provide in order to establish that there was negligence. This is why contacting a solicitor** as early as possible is important. Immediately after the accident is the best time to gather evidence. If you contact Personal Injury Claims Manchester, our personal injury solicitors** will advise you as to what evidence you require. Their expert knowledge of the law combined with the local knowledge they have thanks to being based in and around Manchester puts them in the best possible position to advise you.

Who can I hold liable for my injury?

Those who are in control of public places are liable for injuries that the public sustain whilst on their property. Immediately, the local authority springs to mind. If you are in a council run building, like a school or a leisure centre, the relevant local authority will be responsible for your safety.

However, the local authority is responsible for more than just the buildings they run. Local authorities are also responsible for public footpaths and roads. It is all too easy to assume that nobody is responsible for tree roots protruding from the pavement but that is not the case. Some of the most common accidents occur due to poorly maintained footpaths and if you are not aware that the local authority is responsible for their maintenance, you could miss out on compensation that you are entitled to.

Liability is not limited to buildings and land that are in public ownership. We are all responsible for injuries caused to others on our property as a result of our negligence. This is due to the principle of occupier’s liability. There are many public places in private ownership and the occupiers of such places do not escape liability. Shopping centres, restaurants and theaters are in private ownership but they are open to the public. The occupier of such places will be liable to compensate you for your injuries, if they have been negligent, in the same way the local authority would be liable if your accident had occurred in one of their buildings.

What can I hold the responsible person liable for?

The responsible person is liable for costs that could reasonably be said to have resulted from your injury. This can cover a wide variety of costs but is not unlimited. If your injury began a series of horrendously expensive events that one could never have imagined would result from the injury, the responsible person will not be liable for the costs. What can be said to have reasonably been caused by the injury depends on the seriousness of it.

If the injury is particularly debilitating you may never be able to work again. This would lead to a high claim for compensation for loss of earnings and pension rights. If you have been injured to this extent, it is also likely that you will need ongoing care so you can be compensated for the cost of that. Compensation can also be paid for loses that cannot be quantified in monetary terms, such as serious injuries that lead to pain and suffering.

However, you are unlikely to be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering if your injury is a twisted ankle. In that case, you may well have lost earnings or have short-term medical expenses but that is likely to be the extent of your compensation. This does not mean that claiming compensation is not worth your while. You should never end up in a worse position than the one you started in due to an accident that wasn’t your fault. If the injury has had an effect on you financially, you should claim compensation.

Public Liability Claims in Manchester

Contact Personal Injury Claims Manchester today. We will provide you with the help and information you require to bring a claim for compensation. If you are wondering whether it is worth the effort, ask yourself whether you are happy to miss out on money that you are entitled to.

If you have been injured in public place and weren’t to blame our Accident Lawyers can help you claim compensation through our No Win, No Fee* service.

Call our Accident solicitors** on 01618 855 335 or contact us online.

Start Your Personal Injury Claim Today

Contact Our Panel Of Personal Injury Accident Claim Managers Now